Ubisoft’s nearly 19-year-old Assassin’s Creed franchise is well-known for creating some of the most enthralling historical fiction experiences in all of gaming, allowing players to explore Ancient Greece all the way up to Victorian London.
While most of these experiences are told through single-player narratives, there was a time when Assassin’s Creed dabbled with PvP and PvE multiplayer, with gamers playing as Templars training in the Animus against one another in Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood until Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag.
Everything Fans Can Expect To See From Assassin’s Creed in 2026
Fans of the long-running Assassin’s Creed series can expect a ton of new content to debut in 2026 from games to books.
Assassin’s Creed Unity is so far the last time multiplayer was available in a mainline AC title, having four clones of Arno Dorian take out targets and complete heists, but rumors and leaks have suggested that Ubisoft is working on a new AC game dedicated solely to multiplayer called Codename Invictus.
However, recent alleged remarks from an anonymous Ubisoft developer have portrayed the upcoming multiplayer title in an unappealing light, with only managers and higher-ups seeing any value in the product.
Everything Known About Assassin’s Creed Invictus So Far
Assassin’s Creed Invictus was first revealed to the public in 2022 following an interview with Vice President and Executive Producer for Assassin’s Creed, Marc-Alexis Cote, but rumors and supposed leaks quickly came forward suggesting that Invictus would be tied with Assassin’s Creed Infinity, now known as the Animus Hub.
Rumors continued suggesting that Invictus would allow players to embody multiple protagonists from throughout the series, from Ezio to Kassandra, in 16-player PvP battle royale-like matches, and these rumors were seemingly supported by multiple AC voice actors teasing their return on unknown projects in 2025.
Remarks from an anonymous Ubisoft developer have portrayed the upcoming multiplayer title in an unappealing light
Ubisoft Montreal, the studio behind Assassin’s Creed Valhalla and For Honor, is reportedly leading the development of Invictus, with Valhalla‘s Audio Designer Alexandre Poirer announcing in 2024 that he joined the Invictus project.
No official information about Invictus has ever been revealed, but, according to French YouTuber J0nathan, an anonymous Ubisoft developer told him that Invictus will play similarly to Fall Guys and that most developers working on it dislike the game.
“I don’t know a single colleague who likes Invictus,” said the anonymous Ubisoft developer. “Only the managers will probably keep smiling and singing the praises of this project. It’s awful: ridiculous animations, hideous and cartoonish characters (their faces are just as awful), idiotic sound and visual effects, combat arenas… the concept is just plain dismaying.”
J0nathan later clarified on X, formerly Twitter, that Invictus currently looks more similar to Fortnite than traditional AC games and is scheduled to launch in 2027, though that release window may be subject to change following Ubisoft’s delay and cancellation of multiple titles earlier this year.
Ubisoft’s Treatment of Ghost Recon is Exactly Why the Company is Struggling
Ghost Recon was all about experimenting, and neglecting it may lead to death by playing it safe.
- Released
-
March 20, 2025
- ESRB
-
Mature 17+ // Blood and Gore, Intense Violence, Language
- Developer(s)
-
Ubisoft Quebec
💸 Earn Instantly With This Task
No fees, no waiting — your earnings could be 1 click away.
Start Earning